Wednesday 22 May 2013

May: Sewing, baking, Brighton Festival and books.

May has been busy and although I have done lots I haven't had much time to say anything about it. Chris has been nagging at me to write a blog post and it occurred to me that with our kids constantly shouting for our attention in the evenings and weekends it might be the only time he gets to find out what I am up to. Maybe written communication would be easier for us.

So then Chris, this has been my May so far....

I've been helping in school and nursery a lot. I love going in and seeing what the kids are up to and how differently they learn maths now. I now know how to do calculations that I couldn't do at school! The nursery is fun and I get to do craft stuff with them, like bubble painting and mask making.

I normally help at school on a Wednesday morning but as year 2 are doing the sats that they don't know that they are doing I got to do some filing and come home early. Which is good because I am tired today, I went to see The Great Gatsby at the cinema last night and loved it so much that it took ages for me to relax and come down of my pic n mix high. I came away inspired by the outfits, the sequins and with an urge to be very rich and throw lavish 1920's themed parties. If you haven't seen it already, go!

I've been listening to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories and Frank Turner's Tape Deck Heart on Spotify. Frank Turner is my sewing music of choice.

Lots of hanging out with my kids, reading Swallows and Amazon's by the campfire. Enjoying every bit of Ruby's last pre-school days (I don't want September this year) and being forced into taking selfies with her.

We have been reading Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons to Jacob and not only have we all really enjoyed the story, it has inspired Jacob's games and attitude towards playing. I think this will be the summer he embraces the outdoors and adventures.

I also managed to read a book for me. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I was surprised how uplifting the book was despite it's topic and the ending. I read it very quickly and felt motivated to get on with some things that I have been putting off (like finishing the bathroom tiling). Check it out!



I've been making and baking...



Attending...

...a couple of Brighton festival bits and pieces. The Spiegeltent and The Embroidered Tattoo Parlour.


 Sewing...
A cute little felt ice cream garland for a lovely friend's birthday present.


 ...and some tops and dresses for me using patterns from Make Hey While the Sunshines by Pip Lincolne, burda style as inspiration.



With the exception of G.C.S.E textiles my sewing skills are self/mum taught. For a while I've felt that I have a gap in my skill set. Whenever I make something for me I am always dissatisfied with the fit and usually have to make alterations to the patterns to fit me. In hope of fixing these issues and fulfilling a teenage dream I have booked myself on to a Pattern Cutting Course at MIY Workshop starting at the beginning of June. I am so excited and feel like I'm 18 again with the opportunity to follow the creative path that I deep down wish I had gone down 15 years ago. I'll let you know how I get on!

I've also been cutting out hundred of little flags for a bunting craft activity planned for the school fair.


What have you been up to this May? Any bank holiday weekend plans? Our plan is to enjoy the festival atmosphere and maybe finally make it to an open house or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...