Thursday 28 March 2013

Ruby Makes - Easter Nests Recipe

Yay, it is Easter! and that means I can eat lots of these!

(Easter nests, not Rubies)
I only use this recipe at this time of year. I love the way the shredded wheat makes them so nest like.

I had help making this batch and I found it really hard handing over the Easter nest making reigns. Ruby is a very capable baker and she wanted to make these all by herself. And she did with the exception of the hob part. I had to sit and supervise and restrain myself from "helping"which was hard when this is normally my job. I feel a bit surplus to requirement! At least until she learns to read and write I get to share the recipe with you.

The recipe is from a Tate and Lyle cookbook that belongs to my Mum. I've made many times over the last 30 odd years. Give it a go!

Easter Nest Recipe
Makes approx. 12 nests

Ingredients:
150g Butter or Margarine
100g Rich Brown Soft Sugar
100g Golden Syrup
50g Cocoa
150g Shredded Wheat
A Bag of Mini Chocolate Eggs

You will need:
Approx. 20-30 minutes
Saucepan
Bowl
Spatula
Cupcake cases
Cupcake trays
A helper (optional)

How to make:
Put your apron on and enlist a helper!


In the saucepan, over a low heat, melt the butter, sugar and syrup. 


Whilst the mix is melting get your helper to break up the Shredded Wheat into little twigs. You might need to help with some of the tougher bits as they can be a bit rough.


Go back to the saucepan and take it off the heat. Stir in the cocoa.


Mix thoroughly until you get a lovely glossy sauce like this. Then pour over the Shredded Wheat "Twigs".


Mix really well, it takes a few minutes to get it all combined.


Allow your helper to spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and make a dent in the centre to make them a nest shape. 
Finish off with some mini eggs and put in the fridge to set.


We used Smartie Mini Eggs as the two supermarkets I tried had run out of Cadbury Mini Eggs! You can buy them on boxing day but not four days before Easter! The Smartie ones are nice but I'd rather have the Cadbury Mini Eggs.

All done and so yummy! 
It's the school bake sale today and I am begrudgingly parting with some :( I might have to buy them back later!

Are you going to make some? Are you a fan of Mini Eggs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...